The mission of Space Center Houston is to inspire all generations through the wonders of space exploration. We aspire to be the leading science and space learning organization in the world. Owned and operated by the non-profit Manned Space Flight Education Foundation, we are the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center. The center features more than 400 space artifacts, hands-on interactive educational exhibits, and robust youth programs interpreting the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human spaceflight program.
We are seeking a full-time Marketing Manager responsible for managing marketing strategies, integrated campaigns, digital and traditional marketing programs and the brand of the center, including but not limited to direct/e-direct marketing communications, marketing design, social media, website and advertising. The manager writes and executes strategic marketing plans using the organization’s key strategic messages to promote the center overall, as well as to support programs of its individual departments. The ideal client will develop and manage budgets, a creative team and outside vendors. The manager will oversee marketing research and brand strategy including surveys of visitors. She or he will work with other Communications Department colleagues as well as with other departments. The manager reports to the director of communications and external relations in the Communications Department. Responsibilities and qualifications are shown below:
- Serve as an expert advisor on digital and traditional marketing strategy and brand management to the organization. Research and stay current on marketing trends and recommend product/brand improvements in response to market changes.
- Work with vendors and ad agency on digital and traditional media buys in conjunction with director. Supervise advertising shoots and advertising development.
- Develop and implement annual and monthly marketing budgets.
- Manage a creative team comprising digital marketing and graphic design specialists who write, edit, design and produce marketing materials and strategic plans. Materials include social media, website, discount programs, advertisements and direct/e-direct communications. Provide clear direction ensuring all conceptual and creative ideas meet objectives, strategies and timelines. Provide coaching, encouragement and training.
- Develop strategic, creative and proactive digital and traditional integrated marketing programs to communicate organization’s key messages; achieve ongoing positive publicity; enhance the brand; market and promote programs; and achieve department and organizational goals and objectives.
- Write and edit marketing content.
- Collaborate and work productively with key internal client(s) in cross-functional departments by developing and executing strategic communications plans. The work will include program or product promotions, launches, discontinuations or ongoing maintenance of growth to achieve annual volume, profit, and ROI objectives and to provide for long-term business continuity.
- Create and manage project timelines, regularly communicating with team members or clients as project evolves. Give accurate project timeline projections, acquire approvals and meet deadlines while managing and executing multiple projects and priorities (independently, overseeing a team or working within a team) by using project management systems and advanced organizational skills.
- Monitor, analyze, write and present weekly, quarterly and annual reports for all campaigns. Include key performance indicators, results, key findings, best practices and recommendations; as well as reports on overall digital programs. Reports should show the value and ROI of the programs and how they contribute to the success of the organization’s programs and goals.
- Manage market research and visitor/customer surveys for the organization including working with survey and marketing research vendors, identifying marketing research needs, and analyzing and presenting research internally. Effectively use results to achieve marketing objectives.
- Analyze attendance, provide marketing analysis and recommend changes in marketing and/or programs based on analysis.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and processes for area of responsibility.
- Use the organization’s resources wisely by acquiring multiple bids from vendors and making recommendations for the best qualified and most cost-efficient vendors.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in online marketing, marketing, advertising, journalism, public relations, communications or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in brand management, traditional and digital marketing (including print, TV and digital advertising), product management/development, client services and/or strategy development to acquire new customers or grow current customers.
- Expert knowledge of digital marketing principles including Internet advertising, SEO optimization, social media strategy, organic and paid strategies and e-direct marketing (e-cards, e-newsletters, etc.)
- Experience in managing people and developing relationships; experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated ability and initiative to work independently with limited supervision on simultaneous projects, as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment. Be willing to pitch in to help others.
- Highly creative and experienced in creative process. Ad agency background is a plus.
- Excellent and creative writer of marketing content that engages audiences, is tailored to each varied medium and uses AP Style.
- High level of professionalism, initiative, energy, enthusiasm and collaboration. Able to give and accept constructive criticism. Able to handle high-stress situations. An ability to solve problems and offer solutions.
- Extremely detailed oriented, especially in proofing and making accurate edits; ability to perform multiple, overlapping tasks by focusing on priorities and “big picture.”
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills and experience in analyzing and compiling market research. Able to oversee work of survey and market research vendors.
- Knowledge of graphic design best practices and principles for print, web and digital projects.
- Experience with video and photography (editing, production and/or shooting).
- Available to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and be on call at times. Some travel may be required.
- The ability to maintain the highest level of personal and professional ethics and integrity.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and able to work with Microsoft Windows-based computers.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills in order to influence, guide and motivate stakeholders internally and externally with tact, reasoning and sensitivity. Must be an excellent public speaker with experience presenting to small and large groups, as well as able to speak effectively in one-on-one situations. Experience in compiling and writing those presentations.
- Expert in writing and editing engaging and creative digital and traditional marketing content using AP style.
- Experience as media spokesperson a plus, but not required.
- Experience with crisis communications a plus.
Space Center Houston is an equal opportunity employer and earned 2016 Houston Chronicle Top Workplace honors in an anonymous survey of its employees. It has a diverse and inclusive work culture with a creative, fun and collaborative environment.
To apply: Email resume to email@example.com. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (281) 244-2150 or visit our website at www.spacecenter.org/careers.